Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Wing Foiling Session - 11/25/2020

I've been trying to determine what wings to get - I currently have a 6.0 Duotone Echo and I really like the ease of use of the boom.  But what I don't like is fact that flagging is not automatic.  Last week when I caught a wave and tried to dump the wing power, I had to use both hands - a little awkward.


I am using this demo Ensis 5.2 wing to see what else is out there (thanks Jeff!!!).  I was really interested in the V1 version of this wing when I was looking for a first wing - but it wasn't in stock anywhere.  With winter setting in here in the Northern Hemisphere, wings are starting to become available.  I'm glad I got the Echo, but I do want to ride waves so the Ensis seems like the next step forward.


This wing had almost the same power as the Echo 6.0.  The handles were almost as easy to use as a boom - but there are no hard parts to worry about.  On my first run, I got up pretty quickly once a gust hit.  According to the iwindsurf.com report, there was a burst of wind that held over 20mph with higher gusts.  And there were lulls down below 15mph.  I was able to tack the wing - but it isn't as easy as the Echo (which has more dihedral).  I got further on my inbound jibes so this wing won't slow my learning curve down.


This is Harris trying out the wing.  He normally uses a Slingshot 5.4 V2.  He said this one felt weird to him.  Coming from a different wing, I felt that way too, but considering this is a smaller wing than the Echo 6.0, this wing may be in my future...


Here's the runs I had - obviously I drifted down during the lulls, and got back up wind on the gusts.  Seeing as my board needs to be repaired (and tomorrow is Thanksgiving), I'll keep my eye on the wind, but I'll likely prone foil and fix the board.

No comments: