Saturday, September 30, 2023

Dawn Patrol - 9/30/2023

Dawn patrolled today.


The wind was actually pretty strong even before the sun came up.  Unfortunately I had banked on the wind being light and I had planned to test the Spitfire 960 on the Advance + Crazy Short fuselage.


I kept the -0.5 shim on the Progressive 375 - I am getting to know this fuse-stab setup well now so for this first run on the Foil Drive, I figured I should keep with the current theme.

I measured the offset of the SF960 from the Kujira 1210 from No.32 and moved the mast up 5 cm - which pretty much pegged the mast all the way forward.


I went out despite the wind, chop and backwash.


The foil setup is definitely more nimble than the HPS980.  I'm pretty sure I had to stay on the throttle a bit longer, but the takeoffs were still on the early side (non-critical).  I'm glad to have this over the HPS930.


Counting the bumps on the chart, I got 17 waves in 90 minutes - that's pretty much a wave every 5 minutes.

There is an errant reading (probably a wipeout), so I had to go through the graph to find the top speed - 19.7mph.  With the shim in place, the rear stabilizer felt a little looser than I like.  I can deal with this while on the wing (by leaning more on the handles for added stability), but using the foil drive, going too fast and having a looser tail and get unnerving.  

I think the Advance + Crazy Short may also be a contributing factor.  If the weather has calmer conditions tomorrow morning, I'll see if removing the shim helps stabilize the setup.  It's not that it is bad - it is actually super responsive, I think I am just looking for a little more drive when riding waves without a wing.

If the setup still rolls too quickly, I may also try to setup the regular Crazy Short fuselage (I can't isolate the cause of the issue if I change too many things at once).


Marlon used the prone setup again this morning.  I did not get to see any of his rides - but he said he got a few waves in.  He mentioned that the tide and the chop made for challenging conditions.

W:101/F:91/S:36

No comments: