Thursday, September 21, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 9/21/2023

This afternoon I hit Hickam.  I did get to meet up with Jeff and grabbed a Spitfire 840 and 960.  I coupled that with the P375 stabilizer and an Advance+ Crazy Short fuselage.


There was good (not great) wind so I pumped up the SW2 4.7


And I started out the day with the prospective preferred Foil Drive Prone setup - the Spitfire 960/P375. 


The picture is actually of the Spitfire 840 - 

I was able to record a track for the first of two sessions (then my watch died).


First transition was a dry heel to toe tack!!!  BAM!!!

I got my bearings on this foil - and ended up moving the mast forward another 2 times.  Lots of lift from this foil, it turns/rolls so easily - especially with the Advance+ Crazy Short fuselage.

I even took it out to Firsts -

My verdict is this is a great foil.


Not bad wind either -

I'm not quite sure what that 21.5mph top speed is from (riding deliberately, or crash/burn).


I came in after several waves to swap front foils - the one thing I did notice about the SF960 foil was it felt a tad slower than most of the foils I have been using lately (and this is relative - because 21.5 mph is not slow).  With that, this should fill the space that I was originally looking at the HPS930 to fill - super good carve, takeoff sooner than later - to preserve battery life, and reasonable glide and pump.

Placing the two foils on top of one another, there is a pretty good gap between the two sizes.


So I switched out to the Spitfire 840 - and just like the time I got to try Jim's 840, I was blown away!!!  Now I'm going to have to take the SK8 back out to differentiate between these two surf foils - 


Again - the first transition was also a wing foiling heel-to-toe tack.

This is a very fast, maneuverable, easy to use foil.

The battery on my watch was dead, so I figured I'd just push the foil.

The 840 is an incredible feeling front foil.  I'm pretty sure the SK8 is just as good, but I just feel like I am carving harder on the 840.


I got some fun rides for the first time out on these foils!

W:95/F:89/S:36

No comments: