Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Garage Works - 9/19/2023

I took another lay day today - even though the wind was up, I really want to get this board modification/repair done before the weekend.

I cleaned up the epoxy job from yesterday (with the planers).

Then I routed out the slots for the inserts.  I wiped down all the surfaces that were going to touch epoxy.


I measured out 1.4 ounces of aluzine and added three scoops of milled fibers.  Then I set the inserts in place. 


I also added a cap sheet of carbon over the inserts.


Turned out nice!  The delamination under the lower strap position is total fixed.  and with the insert sandwiched between carbon/innegra-carbon and divynicell, this strap is going nowhere.


Tomorrow I'll get the mast track cracks coated in a thin layer of epoxy (to seal it).  I figure this is worth a try before just going in and placing new boxes.

After that, I grab a deck pad, install it and let the epoxy harden in my autoclave (garage).

I also sanded down the repair on Roland's Unifoil Hyper 190.  I don't have pictures, but I started with 40 grit on the electric sander.  I got through 220, then I shifted to hand wet sanding through 1000 grit.

There were some really awkward gouges on the foil, but I think I got most of them sanded out.

No comments: