Sunday, September 24, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 9/24/2023

Headed to Hickam again today.  On the weekends, the crowd at White Plains can be a little too much - particularly during launching and landing.  I prefer to remove myself from that equation - and why not.

This was a picture taken around 9 am - tiny white caps on the surface - so the conditions were doable.  And today ended up being an exercise in patience - ups and downs abound.


Marlon needed the truck to go to work, so I hitched a ride with Kalani.  I didn't want to bring a bunch of extra stuff like I normally do - so I packed just the SW2 5.2 and the SK8 950


So nice - I had to post it twice!


Two hours out on the water - just shy of 19 miles.


As mentioned earlier, the wind was up and down, and shifty - mainly from the NE back to E.


And here you can the wind direction shifts.  At the front end of the session I was staying close in because of the up and downs.  Ryan came out and asked if I was going out to the waves.  The wind was starting to fill in better so I said sure.

Outside was a bit more consistent, but there were still some lulls.  The waves were intermittent with the rising tide - but I was able to pick off some fun ones.


Not a bad top speed - blasting at the end of the session in the gusts!!!


This shot is proving to be most elusive - what is happening here is a wave is breaking and I'm communing with it as it transforms from a gravity wave into turbulence and friction.  I am heeled over trying to stay in the pocket of the peaking wave and looking for a spot to redirect 180 degrees.  The GoPro isn't picking all of that up because it is mounted too high.


The GoPro does grab the tacks pretty well - but it is hard to see how leaned over I am to make this transition.

Oh well - I guess I'll just keep on trying ;)


W:98/F:89/S:36

No comments: