Saturday, May 20, 2017

Something New to do Something Old

The reel and the rod were on sale (and included shipping), so I figured I'd give it a try - cast with the face flat (like spinning gear), and retrieve like fly fishing gear. We'll see how it works...

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Getting Ready to Rig and Dress These

I've had these back from the ceramics studio for a bit now - I've just had other things to do and honestly I've been totally avoiding the need to relearn the wire bender. Well, with a short trip coming up, I figure I need to get these done. I weighed them to see how much weight they lost in the kiln process (fired twice - bisque and high temp). Without using a calculator, on the average they lost about 15 to 25% of their wet weight. Since these are on the smaller side it is likely they'll gain all that back once the wire, hook and dressing are added on. Stay tuned...

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Marlon Caught Two - I Caught a Skunk

Marlon and I went fishing at the flats - I brought a spectrum of implements to try out - start with bait to get rid of the skunk, then try some flies and grubs and some small lures. I didn't get past the bait phase... Marlon's first fish was the hawkfish (which got itself wrapped around the rocks -twice; and I had to do the unwrapping so in reality I believe I can take half credit for this catch). After a while Marlon got this goatfish I did have a follow from a small omilu, but no wrestling match. I gave up on the outside and decided to see if the bonefish and kaku would play in the shallows. even broke out the new cupfaced kaku fly - it works well to push water, but no joy. I did see a barracuda and cast a few times to it - I didn't even get a head turn. So in the end, Marlon went catching and I went fishing.

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Getting Ready...

With Spring firmly entrenched in the Northern Hemisphere, it is only a matter of time before the oama start coming in to the shallows. And behind them will be the predators that need to fatten up on oama. I was stuck in town the other day (really bad westbound traffic) - so I thought I stop off at Charlie's Fishing Supply. I ended up buying some yellow crystal flash that is close to the color of the oama back. Here's a Clouser tied up with the new crystal flash. I also tied up another orange fly... just because... I need to get out and tie these on (maybe Saturday morning???).

Monday, May 8, 2017

Sunday Morning Surf at White Plains Beach

The family hit the beach yesterday to wet our gills (it's been a while). Waist high, not to windy and lots of space for everyone to catch their stoke. Marlon was out with the board Charlie gave him, and Amy was out also with her new GoPro 5 (nice kit). Marlon is getting good at paddling a lower volume board - I bet soon I'll be breaking out the planer again to carve out some ripping shortboards!

Marlon and Noe Racing

Speaking of the kids racing, Marlon and Noe did race yesterday at a Waikiki Yacht Club sponsored race. The conditions were really tough - fast counter currents, wind from every direction, no wind, and some confused racers (learn your rules people, Marlon and Noe did), but the kids still had fun.

Arrrhhhhhh - A Pirate Berth

We saw this yesterday while the kids were racing in Waikiki. Pretty cool!!!!

Monday, May 1, 2017

And While We're on the Topic of Meals...

This is one for the record books - La made and ate biscuits and gravy!!! And it was fantastic!!! Definitely cannot eat this everyday... without reducing your lifespan by several years - but what a wonderful treat!!! She never ate this before in my presence!!! After 16 years of marriage, countless stops along many freeways for food, having lived in the South for many years - all with her look of "how can you eat that stuff". You have just witnessed a miracle!!!

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Pulled Pork Fumble Converted into a Lumpia Touchdown

I recently replaced the gasket on the Big Green Egg and realigned the lid. I had barbecued some chicken and fish and all was well. But my normal vent settings were not producing the same temperatures for a low and slow smoke. I know this because I set up a pork butt smoke for an overnight cook and two things happened - the temperature was hovering around 300 F when I went to sleep and I actually lost the fire sometime during the night. I woke up early to this fiasco, regrouped and the pork butt was done at 7:30 am. Unfortunately it's excursion above 300 F turned it into a roast instead of the usual sumptuous, "fall apart in your hands" pulled pork goodness. What to do with over 5 pounds of roast pork (when your wife - and sometimes your kids - doesn't like roast pork)... I immediately cubed the meat in preparation for making the next batch of lumpia. I got around to making the lumpia this morning - great save!!! I can say this because La was eating the lumpia up!!! I love this Southern twist on a Filipino favorite! Or it is just Hawaiian? ;)

Plunger Fly

I cannot take credit for this design - I saw a post Vlad over in the Boston area had put up and decided to give it a try. Not the easiest fly to tie - actually it was a pain in the ass. This should get the neighborhood kaku pretty excited. Too bad it's been raining cats and dogs...

Saturday, April 29, 2017

A Day up at Haleiwa and Pupukea

We went up to the North Shore today to hangout and checkout a plant sale (at a spectacular garden - for those pictures checkout my other blog - We had breakfast at Cafe Haleiwa. Burned some time at the North Shore Marketplace And after the plant sale/garden tour, we had lunch at a Kono's (pulled pork place - it was good, but my smoked pork is better ;) ) And more of the ubiquitous chicken - these guys are the real rulers of the earth (or at least these islands - such is the destiny of any creature that can/will eat a cockroach). Great day up North!!!