Monday, April 15, 2024

Garage Works - 4/15/2024

I got a crack in my windshield this morning - a rock strike while driving on the freeway.  That will come into the story shortly.

These are the two templates that I've been working on that made the final cut.  These are the 5'0" x 22" April 2024 B and C templates. 


When you line them up together, you can more easily see the differences - the one on the left has a more pulled in nose and tail - and that's the final choice for No.36


I needed the apply the UV resin to fix the chip in my windshield in strong sunlight.  I was getting that all sorted out and the instructions had distinct time periods where you were just waiting.

And that's when I measured the blank, found the centerline and transferred the template.


I really like how this one turned out.

My current plan is to use a similar bottom deck profile as the latest Foil Drive board (No.33 - flat tail, square rail, subtle chines from the tail to 2/3s the way up to the nose where the rail softens).

You may be asking yourself - "Vic, why do you need another wing foiling board - don't you already have a few?"  

Well, No.36 is going to get the 16" tracks so it will be able to support the smallest foils I have - F One SK8 750 and Eagle 690, the Axis HPS 700 and maybe even the Triton T-1

And the boards I have now tend to be at extremes.  No.25 has a lot of volume (for me now - I guess time in makes you able to use smaller stuff).  And No.32 needs more track forward.  This template will take the best of both and fit it in between the two.  At 22" width (or less) it'll move across the water faster (for earlier takeoff) and it'll have less volume (more manageable while winging on a wave).  The nose shape should fit steeper waves better and will feel more familiar to Foil Driving (bringing the two disciplines closer for me).

The color scheme is going to pull from one of my earlier prone boards (the tiger striped 4'10" No.17) and what I just did with Matt's board (No.35).  And I'll use the rail tape trick to keep the transition clean.

I'll put footstrap inserts into this - and I'm thinking of placing a centered rear foot so I can use it only for jumping.

Lots of design criteria for this one - should be a good build!  

No comments: