Friday, April 19, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 4/19/2024

After my bounce trip to Kauai, I saw two wingers out at Hickam while my plane was landing.  Kalani had already asked what was going on and I said winging Hickam - 


There was wind - more than yesterday.  


Matt had already been out on No.35.  He said it worked great.  He already could get up using smaller wings - this board made it even easier.

He said Jesse took it out also and said it gets up out of the water fast.


Kalani took the Ezzy Flight 5.5 out (but didn't even get up on foil - I let him know before taking it out that it doesn't have the low end of the SW2s.

I took the Ezzy Flight 5.0 out.  I placed both wings on top of each other and here is where the difference lies - 


Donnel texted me earlier and wanted me to tell him if the trailing edge had a flutter in it.  When the gusts came through, this area would flutter noticeably.  When the wind was normal and the wing was being used in its lower range, there was no flapping/fluttering.


I took out the same board and foil as yesterday to keep things comparative.


Not bad stats at all.  Since we got out later than normal, we were time limited.


The Ezzy 5.0 is not as good as the 4.0 - but it is way better than the 5.5.

I was able to get two toe-side tacks in without even blinking an eye.  Not sure if it was the Eagle 1090 or the wing - but I'll take it either way.

On the heelside tacks, recovering the wing was really easy - the back handle was just there where I needed it to be as it rotated through the tack.

This wing also pulled hard up wind and was really fast for its size (but again - just not as good as the 4.0).


I went up to Firsts and grabbed some waves.  Luffing the wing it behaved similar to the 4.0 - it stayed where you put it, not wanting to walk away at all.  I flagged it on several waves and the same performance was had each time.

The wind did seem better than what is on the graph below - but this was the general trend.


Towards the end of the session I made some speed runs - the results are pretty impressive considering the wind and that I was riding the Eagle 1090.


Sunday afternoon looks to be another good wind day - but I may try to use the F One Strike V4 that Prayot is demoing.

W:49/FD:24/F:4/S:9

No comments: