Thursday, April 25, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 4/25/2024

I knew I had errands to run this afternoon - so I pulled a lunch session at Hickam.  In the distance you can see the Wet Hens were out also.  They actually had their main sails reefed.

The reports were promising so I brought some of the medium sized equipment.  I ended up setting up No.32 with the Eagle 890/DW190.


I wanted to keep the comparison going so I pumped up the North Mode Pro 4.8.  The more I use this wing, the more I really appreciate it.  This is a smoother wing than the Ezzy Flight (5.0).  It requires input from both hands where the Flight was more back handed.  The Flight luffs better but there is zero leech flutter on the Mode Pro.

And my arms don't feel sore either -

I think the Ezzy is faster and pulls a little higher into the wind.  But the Mode has a little more low end (and doesn't need a special technique to get going like an underpowered Flight does).

At this point, I'd call the Ezzy more dynamic, and the North more refined - but if I had both in the hangar, I'd have a hard time choosing which one to take out because they are both fun and high performance at the same time.

Actually it kinda is the same difference as the Axis Spitfires and the F One SK8s - the former being more visceral and the latter being super smooth and carvey.


As soon as I launched, I had to get a ways out to get into the wind line.  And the Wet Hens were all out - so once I got up I made a beeline for the outside.


And the waves were about chest high and coming in organized sets.  Really fun rides!  And with the winds more from the East, I was having an easier time nailing toe-side tacks.  In fact I think I can say that I had more tacks today than jibes!

I'm not sure if it was the conditions or the equipment - but whatever it was, it felt good to get so many tacks (heelside onto waves and toeside to recycle).


I'm starting to wonder what wind range I'm going to be using the 5.5 and 6.8 in...


Nice top end speed to cap a short lunchtime session!


The wind is supposed to start backing down - so this may be the last winging session for a few days (time to Foil Drive!!!)

W:53/FD:26/F:4/S:9

No comments: