Friday, April 12, 2024

Evening Session - 4/12/2024

Got an afternoon session on the Foil Drive again.  The waves were pretty good and the wind calmed down - the water wasn't absolutely smooth, but it was way better than yesterday.

The tide was a little lower, but still out of foil grounding range.  I did manage to find the pipe with both my feet... no blood drawn. 


Of note, there were two kites and foilboards setup when I pulled up to the parking lot.  I'm guessing they were doing a downwinder and landed here.  AK Durable and Airush equipment.


I brought the Spitfire 960/375P - I think I finally got the drive unit and mast position dialed in!!!


Marvin and I launched around 4 pm and stayed out almost an hour and a half.


The Spitfire was definitely the right foil - handled the energy present way better than the HPS980.  The wave energy was reported by Surfline to be about 35KJ.

I got some ridiculously long rides -


24 rides in one hour and 20 minutes.  That's almost a wave every 3 minutes -


Marvin was getting the hang of it - for a while he was actually up on foil and trying to takeoff that way - and eating it.  I told him he should probably try to standup sooner since he was up on foil already.  He said he didn't know he was up - he was expecting to feel no drag from the pod before he was at the point where he could standup - turns out there wasn't much drag regardless if the pod was submerged or not.

Once he had that feedback, he was popping up faster and catching longer rides.  He acknowledged that a longer board, and even one with more volume in the tail would be better for use with a Foil Drive.

Dawn patrol tomorrow!!!!

W:47/FD:22/F:4/S:9

No comments: