Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 4/2/2024

Pure chaos on the wing today!!!!  Nuking gusts - 


I thought I was rigging in the slot - nope, way over powered.  ART Pro 1001/350P, Reeding SW2 4.2 - all high wind stuff - but still not small enough!!!


I started out by doing speed runs on the inside.  It was hard to control the foil because of the chop coming off the water - the wind was so strong it was generating swell from inside the harbor.


After a few runs, tacks, jibes and getting used to the strong wind, Prayot launched and headed out Firsts.  I followed him out and proceeded to play in lala land.

The wind was so strong at times that I was getting blown back off the wave faces.  And then the gusts would go through and the 4.2 was perfect for the background wind.  The waves were standing up, but they needed a bit more energy to push a foil against the wind.


Eventually the group (me, Prayot and Matt) headed back in and I went back to trying to top my speed record.  With the surface chop, I knew I wasn't going to hit it today, but it was still fun pushing the boundaries of what is possible.


While Prayot and I were out, the gusts were touching 40 mph (according to the HNL sensors).  Times like this, the ocean shows a much different face.

I think I could have gone faster if the wind direction would have promoted smooth water.  I'm thinking I also need a Skinny 360/45 rear stabilizer to get the ART Pro 1001 and the Spitfire 840 to go faster.


This guy (Prayot) needs to practice switching his feet - then he'll be pretty unstoppable.


W:43/FD:20/F:4/S:9

No comments: