Monday, October 30, 2023

Dawn Patrol - 10/29/2023

Dawn patrolled yesterday morning.  This was looking to the SE - the other islands were really visible in the back lit clear sky.


There were waves coming in - pretty lully (but that lets me get out without burning too much battery), but when they were in, it was at least head high.  The tide was pretty high with the full moon - which dampened the waves a bit, but also made a quick paddle out.  Zero wind.

Marlon brought his longboard, but said it was a bit frustrating with the lull in sizeable waves and the weekend crowd. 


Same setup - but I did add a 0.25 degree negative shim to the 375P stabilizer.



The waves were coming in with a faster velocity and weren't standing up as readily (as they would on a lower tide).  I had to stay on the throttle longer to pick up rides.  This is a situation where the smaller hub would have worked better (where I could get to a higher top end speed to catch the wave and not have to use more energy).

The 0.25 degree shim worked well - made for faster/longer rides, easier pumping (since I retained more speed), and more response from the stabilizer (I was turning more today - funny how quickly you lose that feeling if you don't foil everyday - surfing uses different foot pressure applications).

I did lose it a few times - hard falls from high up and going fast - had to take a break after those falls.


I had a few rides where I rode to the inside where the waves were standing up - the walls did pop to at least head high (while I was up on foil) - these runs were back side (which is what I predominately do on weekend sessions to turn away from the large conglomeration of longboarders in the middle break) - if they were front side, I would have been tempted to tuck in....


Slightly lower wave count this session at 23 - largely because of the mid morning slump.  Still had a great series of rides!

W:104/F:99/S:52

No comments: