Sunday, July 12, 2020

Cutting Down the P18W

I've been listening to some podcasts discussing breaching.  The common thoughts on the culprit is the rear wing.  All I know is when I think I'm good to go for a long wall, I breach coming out of the turn that lines me up.  Sure it makes me feel alive to get the crap kicked out of me every now and then, but after a few express elevator drops it gets quite frustrating. 


I've also heard guys talk about getting more maneuverability out of a chopped wing - but I'm more interested in the increased speed (from less drag).  I took an inch off of both sides - I'll see how this works before taking more. 


The forums are saying most guys have taken their stabilizers down to 14" - what I don't know is what their weight is - the lift you lose taking the wing length away is lift that works to hold you up.  I'll probably get to 14" - but I'll take it a step at a time to be able to document and understand what is going on.  We went and did the rounds up at the Waialua Surf Shops yesterday - and I picked up a second P18W so I have a reference point to go back to (and use when the waves are smaller and I need to extra lift and not the extra speed).

No comments: