Monday, July 27, 2020

Evening Session - 7/27/2020

With Hurricane Douglas influencing the local weather the past couple of days, I opted to stay out of the water (even though it probably would have be pretty good seeing as how we didn't end up getting rain or wind down on the south side) - I was actually busy at work and somewhat at the house getting ready for the storm.  Anyways - I went out today to get some exercise.  


The wind was up and strong out of the east - that meant choppy surf that was hard to ride and a head wind for me going front side.  The tide was dropping - probably around 0.9' while I was out.  I didn't hit bottom, but it wasn't the normal carefree deep PT normally is either.  Lastly the swell was on the small side.  Stomach high on the breaking sets, but mostly thigh high.


I brought out the skinny 4'10" with the Go Foil GL180 and the chopped P18W tail.  Transitioning from the Armstrong to the Go Foil was seamless - which wasn't the case going the other way (at least for me).  What I did notice going from the Armstrong HS1850 to the Go Foil GL180 was the smoothness of the Armstrong - it didn't feel like I was riding a foil because it just slipped through the water with minimal friction.  Today using the Go Foil it would go fast, but I could feel drag and turbulence more than I could on the Armstrong.  The Go Foil was still fast when I got it lined up - real fast.  I need a GPS watch to start quantifying these factors.  I think if I round out the stabilizer tips, I can reduce some of the perceived drag.


I ended up catching a bunch and getting several long rides - tons of fun from totally junk waves.  There were some longboarders out and they would catch the waves when they peaked, but they would fade quick and they'd have to stop - on the foil, I'd ride the same wave all the way in - accelerating on the walls even though it was unbroken.  I've said this all before, but it never gets stale at all!  

No comments: