Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Evening Session - 7/21/2020

Marlon and I hit PTs again this afternoon.  The wind was supposed to be down and the swell was supposed to be holding.  The wind was down, but the tide was super high at +2.5' and that drowned out the swell.  Every 10 minutes or so a breaking set would pull through so I did get some rides.  I brought the wide 4'10" with the CF1600, but swapped out the Uni Tail for the 232.  Even though I've ridden this tail stabilizer before, it has been a while - like you would think it is faster than the Uni, and it turns easier.


The rear stabilizer change did make a difference and I had to find my footing again.  I actually caught several, but I think my left foot was too far forward (where it would normally go) and I would push the foil down.  With less surface area, the 232 shouldn't have the same lift as the Uni, so my front foot should be back a hair to compensate - easier said than done when you are dealing with muscle memory.


Marlon had more paddling power with the longboard, so he was catching more.  It did start to rain while I was out and it was coming down pretty hard at one point.  It took about 10 minutes for the rain clouds to pass and the setting sun did come out - and cast a complete rainbow - that made the paddle out totally worth it. The picture above has the rain still coming down on the left side.


It had been a while since I've been out in waves this small - I should have rigged up the 5'6" with the Maliko on the 29.5" mast!



I really like it that this is my home break!  Foiling has definitely opened up all the super mushy waves that no one wanted to surf before.  I'll take it!

No comments: