Thursday, July 23, 2020

Evening Session - 7/23/2020

I pulled a solo session this afternoon at WPB.  I figured since it is relatively more shallow than PTs, it would break better given the higher tide.  It was breaking better - even some chest high sets pulling through every now and then, but mostly in the stomach high range.  The tide was rising while I was out and was heading towards a 2.4', but was probably in the range of 1.5' to 2.0' while I was in the water.  And the wind had swung back to trades in the 10-15mph range - not bad conditions.


I have been tuning the Armstrong HS1850 to get it to fit on the fuselages.  Had to file the wing internal mounting hole a little at a time - but I finally got it to go on snug.  Originally it was short of the bolt holes by nearly 3/4".  For familiarity I kept the Uni tail on.  I pulled the mast back about 1/2" in the tracks to compensate for the additional lift from the 250 extra square centimeters.  I got lucky on the adjustment and the 1850 flew fine.  This wing did not throw me off on takeoff, and when I got situated there was no need to pump to ride out the waves - nothing but glide from this thing.  It is stiffer in the turns (as one would expect from a straighter, wider wing), but it does have a dihedral in it so it does turn better than the GL180


I pushed this foil pretty hard - bigger white wash, some green wave takeoffs and it was totally predictable.  I'm going to have to ride this a bit more - and will probably swap out the uni tail for the 232 as there seems to be lift to spare.

No comments: