Friday, December 15, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 12/15/2023

Another day of strong winds with lots of challenges embedded.  The wind was pretty swirly today - 

There were periods where I was trying to jibe and I would get totally backwinded - it got difficult to figure out where the wind was coming from.

There was another time period where I couldn't get up on the board.  Oh well - at least there was wind.

Low tide so the paddle out was pretty long.

The surf wasn't bad as long as you looked at the event as a downwinder.  The wind swell being blown in did actually break at certain points - timing was everything. 


It has been quite some time since I took the GoPro out.  I actually found it tucked into a cooler bag in the truck. This picture shows I did throw some tacks - but the wind was so up and down that I didn't want to risk falling so I mainly jibed.


Here is one of the wind swell runners - really fun when you got a long ride!


And on those long rides, carving both ways was possible


This time and distance should have been better - especially based on my speed when the wind was coming at a good pace and from a familiar and steady direction.  But I did spend a bunch of time in the water.


More north than east today.


Strong wind for sure - just shifty.


You can get the picture of all the ups and downs.


Norm was out.  He was actually hugging the coast more than I was.  Goes to show you the difference in the wind when two riders and take different tacks going out from the same point.

Roland and Duke also came out.  Duke's first time winging!

Roland was staying on the inside - kinda coaching Duke.  Towards the end he started winging more on the outside - then the wind died on both of us.  He was a lot further out than I was.  I picked up a gust and got back to the shallows.  Then Roland picked up a gust and was able to get back in, jibe a few times to get back to the lay line to the landing spot, then heading in.

I did not want to paddle - so I waited and eventually picked up one last gust.  These last few sessions have been challenging for sure.

W:121/F:107/S:58

No comments: