Friday, February 23, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 2/23/2024

Got to WPB at 3:30. Norm was there, but had popped his wing yesterday - so he was going to prone foil along with his son.  Kalani was there already and just setting up.  

The wind looked good - but the windline was pretty far out.

I setup No.32, the SW2 5.2, the ART999/400P on the Evolution Wind mast.


After paddling out to the wind line, foiling was awesome!!!  There were head high waves breaking on the outside.  Lots of luffing and long rides going right.


The wind was coming in from the ENE at good speed.


Until it stopped.  I kept looking for a gust to get me back up so I could get back to the launch.  That gust never came.  There was a long line of rain clouds and it killed the wind.

Unfortunately I was way outside when the wind died.  The current was actually taking me west.  After drifting past the Cabins, I figured I could make landfall at Campgrounds.  After a hellacious paddle, I finally made it back to land.

It was too dark to walk over the rock ledges along the beack, so I deflated the wing, rolled it up, draped it over my shoulder and put the foil/board over my other shoulder and started walking to the road.  I got halfway back and Kalani met me in his SUV. 


No doubt the wind died off.


I usually can tell when the wind is going to drop off in the afternoon - I got tricked into staying out longer today.  It was definitely a great session on the front side.  And on the back side it was definitely a kick in the nuts.  Days like this are inevitable - and when you get back in one piece with no damaged gear, you get stronger from the experience.

W:16/FD:13/F:4/S:8

No comments: