Sunday, February 4, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 2/4/2024

I dawn patrolled Kailua Beach Park this morning.

Nuking conditions with big rollers on the outside (which made for fun sized waves on the inside of Jump City).  The diehards were out in force!!!


I pumped up the SW2 3.6 and bolted the Spitfire 840/350P onto No.32 - small stuff to make the most of the ludicrous winds.

I did not use the Evolution Cedrus mast today - I want to figure out how to get the fuselage off the adapter easier before using it again. 


I couldn't help myself - stayed out a while (it has been awhile since the Trades have been blowing, and even longer since they have been this strong - you have to get it when you can!!!).


Really East today!!!


This chart was the wind at Bellows Field - I'm not sure what the meter looks like (is it blocked from a specific direction like the Kalaeloa meter is???) - but it sure felt like the gusts were way stronger than this.  There were multiple times when the SW2 3.6 felt like too much wing.


This was just plain fun - waves, some long - some short, very strong wind.

The mast did ventilate multiple times - but towards the end of the session I was pulling some punches to avoid driving the mast to ventilation.


I had actually contemplated bringing kitesurfing equipment today.  In the end, I figured I should stick with what I know best considering the challenging conditions.  But I did a lot of looking to see what the kiters were using.  The most prevalent size of kite was a 9 meter.  And most of those riders were on twin tips or larger directionals.  Most would launch, spend a little time traversing through the Jump City lanes, then pull upwind to Flat Island.  The overpowered ones were with the bulk of the winging group at Jump City.

I did see one kiter on a directional surfboard and it looked like he was having a great time.  I'm guessing he was using a 7 meter kite.

I also saw a kiter foiler using a foil/ram air kite - he too looked like he was having a blast.

I'm itching to get back into kiting and kitefoiling - just not on a day where the gusts could body slam .you


I love these kind of days - it is great to be challenged and learn new things (like how to survive smoke on the water conditions!!!).


I may take a break for the next couple of days - I am sore where I didn't think I had muscles.  Or maybe not... when there is wind, you go!

W:11/FD:10/F:4/S:5

No comments: