Monday, February 19, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 2/19/2024

I hit Hickam again today - I didn't want to deal with the low tide shenanigans that would have come with winging WPB.

I also wanted to give Jim a chance to try out the boards I use (as he is asking for a custom).

The wind forecasts were divergent - iwindsurf called a drop in wind speed while surfline was saying it would stay up.  When I got there, a whole crew was just coming in and they were saying it was dropping fast.  I figured that was the que to pump up the North Mode Pro 5.5


Board and foil was the same as yesterday - I wanted to see if the board would make a difference in the lighter wind.


And now I can say definitively that I can get up faster in lighter winds with this board.  The wind was up and down - but as gusts would come through, I would point downwind and after pumping both the wing and the foil, I'd be up within 5 board lengths.


At the beginning of my session, the wind was really light.  I was questioning my judgement in even paddling out.  But the wind did fill in, and there were numerous up and down cycles - perfect for testing the light wind capabilities of No.34

Arvin made a break for Firsts so I followed (and so did Bill eventually).  The waves were small, but fun.  I think I caught 2 breakers and the rest rolled on through.


Not sure what happened to the airport anemometer - but that was pretty much when I was out.


I really like the North wing - it has enough low end to get you going and it doesn't blink when the wind picks up.  Time will tell if the canopy material retains its current tension, or start to stretch (like the heavily used Reedins I have)


And after I came in, I ended up committing to Matt to make another No.34 and to Jim for either a No.25 or a No.34 (he still needs to ride No.34 to see if that is what he wants).

Looks like I'll be busy for a bit.

W:15/FD:13/F:4/S:8

No comments: