Friday, February 2, 2024

Wingfoiling Session and the Anointment of No.34

The Trades came back today!!!  I hit Hickam after work - the wind was straight offshore (NNW-N-NNE), but really strong (and gusty).


I came not only get some winging in, but also to anoint No.34 - 

I set it up with the 85cm PC mast, the Eagle 1090 and DW210, and pumped up the Reedin SW2 4.2 


This board is easier to use than No.30 and No.32

It does have the same "list" that No.30 has when starting to high into the wind.

When aligned, it does pop up quick (imparting speed quickly on to the foil).

It is comfortable to use.  When sitting on it, the top deck is sometimes dry and sometimes submerged (barely).  I'm guessing this board sits around 60 liters.


I had to get home before 4 pm to be able to do some shuttling and for date night - so I only had an hour. 


First turn was a heel-toe tack!!!

After warming up with some more turns, I headed out to Firsts.  There were some waves every now and then, but the wind was really strong straight up the wave faces.  It made for pretty difficult riding.  And I was the only one on the outside, so after a few I headed back. 


The system passing through is restarting the trade flow - really North today.  Was funny foiling normally after multiple sessions winging opposite.


I could have used the Eagle 890 - plenty of power in the wind today.

On the inside, I restarted a few times and while trying to get through a dead wind zone, I would sink the board to my waist.  I'm not sure what that means for the total displacement - but I found that interesting.

This is going to be a great board!  It's always satisfying when a board performs well -


Tomorrow morning I'll take No.34 out to WPB (higher tide).  The trades should bend more to the NE (and over to the E on Sunday).  If La can drop me off at Kailua in the afternoon, I'll try to go kitesurfing.  Yes - I said kitesurfing.

W:9/FD:10/F:4/S:5


No comments: