Sunday, July 2, 2023

Sealing an Aluminum Mast

I use this aluminum Project Cedrus mast when I am taking the Foil Drive out.  Today, for whatever reason I noticed the extra weight that the water that was inside the mast was exerting (while carrying the setup from the beach back to the truck and everywhere in between).

I've sealed aluminum masts before - the Takuma ones I had before after they started to leak - but I've applied some new ideas to this one.

First off - instead of using the spray foam, I used pool noodles to establish a base for the sealant.  Here is one end stuffed with pool noodle sections.


And here is the opposite end noodled up.


I used these to stuff the pool noodles in place.


And in previous efforts I used epoxy.  Epoxy with filler is good, but urethane adhesive is better for this application because it is more flexible.


And here is one side with the urethane adhesive in place.


This should keep water out of the mast and make carrying the Foil Drive set up back to the truck easier.

No comments: