Thursday, July 20, 2023

Wing Foiling Session - 7/20/2023

Yesterday evening's session - super high tide, tiny waves and just enough wind to wing (although it was blowing in from more North than East)


I bolted on the newly refinished/tuned ART999


And I pumped up the 5.2 - there were times I could have used the 4.7, but then there were times that the 5.2 wasn't enough.  And with the flow more Northerly, the normal patterns were all off.  The wind bands were in different spots (mosty closer in to where the surfers were stacked).


Since I got out late, this was a shorter session.  And it was made even shorter because I found a big piece of tarp and fishing line...

I wasn't sure what it was at first pass - and the wind had lightened up to the point where I didn't want to risk touchdown.  But when I was inside, the wind picked up and I had enough to go back out.  I found the tarp and got it onto my board (HEAVY).  I got it to shore and in a garbage can - but it definitely gave me an appreciation for light weight and streamline stuff.


The amount of north in the wind can be seen in my tracks...


This was the airport meter - it sometimes would blow at the indicated strength - but it seemed like this wind was being shadowed.

And this result would make it seem as if the Eagle 1090 is faster than the ART999.  The Eagle to me also has more carry (as tacking with it is pretty easy - I had to have a lot of factors line up to tack with the ART).


Fun session, but would have been better with more waves, more wind and a few friends around.

W:68/F:66/S:30

No comments: