Thursday, July 13, 2023

Evening Session - 7/13/2023

Sometimes you have to mix things up to appreciate what you do.  I haven't surfed surfboards for quite some time - lots of prone foiling, Foil Drive foiling and wing foiling.  I can't get enough of the G's that I can pull getting into a hard turn - but catching waves on a surfboard is still fun (and at some breaks, it is safer than foiling).

There was still some swell coming in from the Tasman Sea storm cycle.  There was wind that was chopping up the surface a bit - but the wind wasn't so strong that I wished I was winging - just enough to remind one that you were surfing at White Plains Beach.

I brought the Volcanic Sweet Potato out for its inaugural run.


Just like the standard version, the Sweet Potato shape is perfect for shitty waves.  I personally think this board makes you a better surfer because you have to read the waves better to weave a good line.  This version does seem just a tad bit stiffer than the H2 version (the Volcanic cloth has similar properties to carbon fiber - just not as stiff).

The deck pad is in the perfect spot.  I don't think I'll set this board up as a thruster - it just works better as a 2 +1.  I do think I'll mix in some more keel like twins to see what different fins will do (and that is the benefit of having two of the same board)


I had fun weaving good rides out of waves that otherwise would have been overlooked (and were a little too choppy for foiling).

Fun session mixing it up and a great first outing for the Firewire Volcanic Sweet Potato!

W:66/F:63/S:30

No comments: