Saturday, July 6, 2024

Wetfeet-Voyager Downwind Challenge 2024

Today was the Wetfeet-Voyager Downwind Challenge Race.  It had been pushed right twice to get to a better wind day.  That said, today had some pretty light wind.

I picked up Duke and Prayot and we headed over to Hawaii Kai for registration.  La and the kiddoroosters also came, so they could take the truck down to Kaimana Beach Park.


This is the biggest wing I currently have - and it was barely enough to keep me pointed downwind.  Under normal tradewinds, I think this wing would have been plenty big, but the other racers brought bigger.  Robert had a 7.2 Ozone Fusion (and he came in First overall).


Really tough launch since there was so little wind.  I grounded the foil... but it is fixable.


And here these two embark on their first downwind race and their first Hawaii Kai to Kaimana run.


Here's how little wind was out there -


Here is the warm up run.  I went back and forth trying to figure out where the wind was funneling.


It was really cool to see malolo (flying fish) popping out of the water when I got close.  We don't get those over at WPB.


The swells were chunky - it was fun playing around and getting a feel for the power in the wing.


Then the race -

This was the finish with everyone waiting for the results.

Prayot pointed out there was probably over $100K of boards and foils hanging around.


I felt good about this run considering the choices I made (finally taking the big wing out).


I also felt good about this line.  In fact, I was able to wing all the way through to the finish line.


I did come off foil 4 times.  Twice were twisted jibes, one was a tail breach and the last was a drop below stall speed (no more wind).  I think I could have used the Clydesdale mast to get around the breach and the twisted turns - I'll have to do that on the next run.


I came in 8th - not sure where in the Masters group.  Prayot and Duke both had a lot of fun and this generated a lot of excitement in them about downwinding.

I'll have to fix the 1090 tomorrow and get the gear I used today rinsed and dried (I was too tired today).

Fun race! 

W:82/FD:47/F:4/S:13

No comments: