Monday, July 22, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 7/22/2024

Today was demo day at Kailua with guys from AFS letting people try stuff out.

I came for this - the AFS Ultra 750


When I pulled up, it was actually whitecapping and I pumped up the North Mode Pro 5.5.  Then after talking with the AFS guys and Milton (SUP Foiler wanting to get into winging), the wind tanked for what seemed like over an hour.  I had gone out with No.36 and the Mode Pro 6.8 - but I couldn't get the Ultra to move.


It's worth noting that this AR is 14 - this looks like a weapon.


This is the wind chart from Waimanalo (not Kailua) - the wind was considerably lower at Kailua. 

After floating around for way too long, I went back in to switch gear.  I bolted the Eagle 1090 on to the Evolution Cedrus mast and No.34.


I was able to get up on foil pretty easily.


By this time the wind had picked up a bit.  I saw Prayot going in and changing gear out.  He really got to try a bunch of the AFS gear.


This combo is definitely a session saver.

I was up on foil for all but two botches.  First was hitting the swim area buoy (wing was hiding it).  Second was a botched tack.


The last trip out Prayot had bolted on the Ultra 750.  And he was up and riding without much drama.  We switched boards as he was about the go in.


I was not immediately able to get up on foil and I started drifting downwind.  I told myself I am not walking back - and I got up.

Short run, but you can feel this foil wants to go faster.  And it has amazing glide for the is smaller surface area. 


Prayot's board is setup differently than how I have mine - the footstraps were not helping me.

But I did get back to the launch point.


The wind did fill in nicely as we were packing up.  I did like the Ultra - would be a fun foil doing the Hawaii Kai run.  I need to compare it with the Eagle 690 and the Eagle X 700.


W:90/FD:52/F:4/S:13

No comments: