Saturday, July 27, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 7/27/2024

The forecasts were calling for strong winds.  How consistent would be anyone's guess.


I wanted to do some testing so I opted to go to Hickam.


I wanted to do a contrast and comparison between the Triton X-1 and the X-1 Pro


The Pro has a wider span, thinner profile and a narrower chord - all indicators of a faster foil with more glide.


Here's the list of what I was testing


I started with the Spitfire because that's the foil I had out yesterday, but instead of putting it on the 90cm aluminum mast, I had it on the Cedrus carbon 85cm mast that I recently fixed (flaking clear coat replaced).


None of the setups I used today were exactly easy to use - but the crazy, shifty wind definitely added to the challenge.


Axis Spitfire 840 run - the carbon mast felt pretty good.  I didn't ventilate if that says anything.


I actually tacked more today than I jibed (while using the Spitfire).


With the gusts blowing through, it was kinda hard not to haul ass -


Triton X-1 Pro run


Here I wanted to get the foil situated so I could ride the foil.  I ended up adjusting the placement at least four times.  This is the furthest forward foil I've used - it's two fingers ahead of the F One SK8 750


No tacks here - all jibes.  I eventually started to get the hang of this foil.  It is totally progressive - I had to put backfoot pressure to get the foil to lift.  Placement is everything with this foil - it is really pitch sensitive if you don't have it set up correctly.


And lastly the Axis ART Pro 1001.  For this I went back to the 85cm carbon mast.

I got what I expected.  Funny how this foil seemed harder to engage than the AFS UHM Ultra 750


I did get in more tacks with this foil.  But La was waiting for me by this time so I kept this run short.





Definitely a roller coaster ride today!

W:93/FD:52/F:4/S:13

No comments: