Friday, July 5, 2024

Wing Foiling Session - 7/5/2024

I took the day off today to get a long weekend.  With that, I got in an early winging session.  Prayot was already out - in fact he was launching for a second session.

The wind was light on the inside, but there were some whitecaps forming on the outside.

There was some swell coming through - but it was on the small side.  The tide was rising so landing would be easy.


I really was out to get settled on what equipment to bring out for the race tomorrow.  If everything stays the same, I'm going to use No.25 for the extra buoyancy - the start is supposed to be sitting on your board (I don't like those starts).  Without ripping winds, the swell lines should be on the smaller side - so I'll use the Evolution Cedrus Wind mast.  I don't want to worry about rounding Diamond head and dealing with the lighter/swirly winds - so I'm going to use the Eagle 1090/DW210.

Today (like yesterday) I used the North Mode Pro 5.5 to understand how low I could stay up wind speed wise.  Tomorrow - no matter the wind speed, I think I will put up the Mode Pro 6.8 (every time I've done this run, I wished I had used a bigger wing - I'm finally going to listen to myself).  


It's been a while since I used No.25

The extra volume this board has is really nice - just enough to keep the top deck mostly dry while starting.  I think that will help with the start - especially if the winds are lighter than predicted.

I have fully documented the abilities of the Eagle 1090 - if the wind was more reliable, I'd use the Mode Pro 5.5, but I'm not going to take any chances.


No.25 was really fun to use!  Having extra buoyancy really feels comfortable.  It's been a while since I've used a board with just the right amount of volume.  And with the 5.5 and the 1090 - I had a blast today!!!


Obviously the wind was more east today - it just didn't feel that way.

I lined up four nice sized waves - I had to go to the questionable wind zone to ride them though.  ULTRA FUN carving those bigger waves!!!


I was up on foil for over 80 minutes straight!  I only went down once today - and that was a botched inside tack.


The winds were similar in strength to yesterday - so I am pretty sure I know what the threshold is.  That said - I'm putting the 6.8 tomorrow - remember the past races Vic - the lower 2/3s of the course you always feel underpowered!!!!  DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES!

W:81/FD:47/F:4/S:13

No comments: