Friday, March 19, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 3/19/2021

I made it out the Hickam at 3pm.  Noe was just pulling in and the wind was pretty strong - gusts to 30 according to the chart below.  I put up the 5.2 Ensis and rigged up the HS1850.  I did bring the wide WFB out - wanted to mix it up.


I made a beeline straight for Firsts.  The wind was just right for the 5.2.  I caught three rides and headed back in to see if Noe was all packed up.  She did not notice me so I headed back out.  I worked on turns again - Outbound tacks and jibes are easy, and I'm having an easier time switching from goofy to regular to do inbound jibes.  I went ahead and headed back out for more waves.


There were some small rollers coming through - really fun to catch those.  And it felt great to ride out, tack without stopping, ride a wave in and switch feet to jibe back out without coming down off the foil.  This is going to be a really fun summer!!!!


I ended up with 10.79 nms and hit a top speed of 14 mph.  I'm going to cut down the 1850 this weekend - mainly shortening up the chord and rounding the remaining tips.  I'm thinking that will reduce the skin drag and I can get a faster cruising speed.  Not much black today!  Moving right through the turns now!  That one large patch towards the end was a lull.  That was pretty much when I figured it was best to head back in.


The wind is supposed to be good tomorrow.  I just got a new gopro mount - so I'm going to see if I can get some decent pictures while up on foil.

No comments: