Saturday, March 20, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 3/20/2021

Ran some errands this morning (getting the board repaired back to Tim, checking on an issue for work, grabbing some linseed oil for Marlon so he could finish his board) before heading to Hickam.  The wind was on!!!  I was from around 11:30 to almost 1pm.  I could have used the 4.5 today, but when I was pumping up, there was a lull out on the water - so I had the 5.2.  There were a few times I was overpowered, but for the most part it was good to have the extra power to get through transitions without issues.


I made a beeline for the outside.  Got there, rode a bunch of waves just shy of breaking - good practice for summer time.  I was nailing tacks and jibes - so much fun!!!


I got to 14.2 mph.  Based on the data I've been collecting, that's about as fast as I can drive the HS1850. 


Too much fun today!  I was also testing a new gopro mount.  I was ginger with most of my starts today - and the mount was steady until I went back to the inside and started practicing higher speed tacks.  On one of them, the rig slid off the wing.  I felt it (the wing got lighter instantly) - and stopped to look around.  I eventually found the camera (I had a floaty on it), but the backing plate was gone (I can easily make a better one).


Here is a picture mid tack - board is through the wind, wing is almost there.


And here I am celebrating a beautiful breaking wave - my timing was off and I was not lined up for this one - but it was still fun to be there.


Tomorrow is supposed to be good again - last day for a bit (which is probably good - my arms and back could use the break).

No comments: