Sunday, March 28, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 3/28/2021

I checked the forecast yesterday evening and it called for good conditions at Kailua for this morning - so that where I went.  



I was out from about 7:30 to 9 am.  Wind got pretty strong in the gusts, but there were lulls where the 6.0 came in handy (I think I might have been waiting around if I had the 5.2 up).  iwindsurf.com doesn't have a free chart for Kailua Bay, so I grabbed the Kaneohe Bay report - the wind was slightly more powerful than what is shown.


I bolted on the HS1532CS/232 on the 85cm mast/60cm fuselage.  The chopped front wing helped with the strong winds/big wing.  There were a few instances where I was popping the rear stabilizer - but with the swell and the chop, that wasn't surprising to me.  Perhaps a longer mast would stop this (while at Kailua - because it isn't happening at Hickam).  Or I should have gone in and put up the 5.2 wing...


Jump City had a bunch of breaking waves - so much fun out there today - especially as a regular footer.


My fastest runs were from the wave assists.  I got to 17.4 mph - a little faster than the HS1850 (as one who have surmised).


I got a few tacks and jibes in, but mostly I changed direction when I crashed, which was more often than I would have liked.  Too much popping the tail (already said - now with emphasis).


The most notable thing that happened today was outright riding a wave and flagging the wing - way easier to do out in Kailua because I'm riding regular foot strong side - FUN FUN FUN!!!!

No comments: