Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Evening Session and the Anointment of Marlon's Submoon

Marlon has long been asking about surfboard tail shapes and how an arc tail would work.  Originally our plan for his birthday present was to buy a blank, and he was going to shape a longboard with an arc tail.  School, the alaia, and plenty of other things have gotten in between the plan and life.  A few days ago I asked if he just wanted to get a Firewire Submoon... I found one of the last ones today and brought it home.


Marlon was stoked!!!  We hit the beach in the afternoon and could only stay for a little bit (homework), but Marlon was catching a bunch of waves.  I saw him on a couple and the shorter length (compared to his longboard) was not hindering him.  I asked him how he liked the board and he said it is awesome - goes fast, turns like crazy and he could even get up to the nose.  I'd say there are no regrets here deviating from the original plan.


The tide was lower than 1.0', and I was originally going to ride the TJ Everyday - but I changed my mind at the last minute and brought out the skinny prone foil board.  I've had the GL180 bolted on for some time now - but swapped out the rear stabilizer for the chopped P18W (now it is 16.25").


I caught several waves and got some pretty long rides.  I got in a bunch of back to back roundhouse turns and the long glides were really fun.  I didn't catch as many as I thought I would, but I also did not sit inside where the waves were mostly breaking - too shallow.  You could see the front hanging offshore and stretching over to the Koolau range.  It didn't take long for the onshore winds to kick up, and the rain began shortly behind.  Good time to call it (so Marlon could get his homework done).


Waist high waves made for a successful anointment!!!  Happy belated birthday oh patient Marlon!!! 

No comments: