Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Evening Session - 3/24/2021

When I got home, there was still a good amount of daylight left.  I figured I had enough time to sand down the epoxy sealant coat I applied to the two chopped foils yesterday, and then test at least one of them.  I got both sanded to 320 dry, then loaded up the truck.  The winds turned southerly so it was onshore mush.  I was hesitant because the tide was low at 0.3', but based on the surf session I had a couple of days back, I figured where the waves were breaking, there was enough depth.  The good news was there were waves - belly high in the middle break (bigger outside - but I didn't have much time).


I bolted on the chopped HS1850 and a stock 300 rear stabilizer.


I caught three waves.  The first was ok - had some back foot pressure (thinking that I didn't get the mast positioning exactly right), but I did pump back out for a double dip.  The second wave I rode for quite some distance going left (my backside) - and the foil pressure was pretty much spot on (equal between both feet).  I got in a couple of turns and realized I was in pretty shallow water.  The third wave was really good - super long right and the foil again was performing awesome.  On the last two waves, the foil was not releasing water well (shudders transmitted to the board from hitting an excitation frequency).  I got through that harmonic, but now I'm thinking about how best to get rid of that (I think it is a result of the wet sanding up front and the relatively rough sanding behind from today's work).  Probably going to spray a coat of acrylic, then apply carnauba wax.  If the waves hold, I'll try and test this wing again tomorrow to see if the changes worked to shed the issue. 


When I got home from foiling, I inspected the front foil for signs of water seepage - there was none.  And then I weighed it again - same weight as before at 46.9 ounces - SUCCESS!!!  I found my large graph paper and traced the outline, then counted squares (0.5 inch squares).  After doing some math, I calculated the surface area to be 237.5 square inches (I subtracted the fuselage connection from the 253.5 shown below) and got an area of 1532 square cm.  The wingspan is 94 cm, and the chord depth is 22.5.  That yields an aspect ratio of 4.17 (I thought it would have been higher than this...)


Fun session, fun math and good knowing the dimensions - so with the dimensions I can now call this the HS1532CS (High Speed 1532 Chop Shop)

No comments: