Saturday, October 16, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 10/15/2021

There was some decent wind as I was getting off work yesterday - so I hit Hickam to test out Prayot's Takuma Kujira 1210.  The wind was 20+, but I did not expect it to be that good and I left the 4.5 at home.  I went ahead and pumped up the 5.2.


I also used the new 15" rear stabilizer that I finished on Thursday evening.


My knee is still a bit sore, so I have been refraining from aggressive board pumping.  With this being the first time I had the 1210 out, I figured I should see what it could do on the low end.  This front foil is good, but it did not have the same "liveliness" that the 980 does.  It does have more glide and I can carve it through transitions, but because of the wider span, I had to draw out the turns a little wider. 


The 1210 rides waves fine.  I was able to hang in the pocket - but the NL160 is still the best at this (with a close second going to the Kujira 980).

The wind was up and down - gusts past 30 and lulls down below 15.  I was glad to have the 5.2.


If you look at the predominant speed on the chart below, I'd say the cruising speed on this foil is about 16mph.  On some speed runs towards the end of the session, I was able to push it to just under 20mph (19.6).  That is on par with other front foils of this size (~1400 cm2).  I'll use it a few more times before I have to send it forward to Prayot.  I will also try and prone foil this - I've been told that is where this shines.  3 for 1s are the normal and the glide is effortless...


I just ordered an Axis ART999 - if that overlaps the Kujira 1210, I may pass on the 1210... I really like getting to test a bunch of different foils (now that I am liberated from being an Armstrong loyalist).

No comments: