Friday, October 8, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 10/7/2021

 First of the upcoming nuking winds days was supposed to be today (I'm posting late - so this is yesterday).  There was wind, but it wasn't the strongest I've seen.  I did pick up a Takuma Kojira 980 wing Foiling set - but I wanted to go through it at the house. Assembling new gear at the beach is never a good idea...  With that I brought out the GoFoil NL160.  Jeff let me borrow his 4.2m Reedin Super Wing.  It was just enough wing to fly in the wind present.


With the NL160, I was out mainly to test the Reedin 4.2

I made a beeline (zigzag) to the outside.


Waves were on the smaller side - but I did manage to snag a few shoulder high peaks.  Got to hover right under the feathering lip and carve on some wall.  Firsts doesn't have as long a wall as WPB - but it sure is the easiest wave to get to (launch is perfect).

So 20 to 30mph is what it takes to power up the 4.2


This chart is amazing to me - almost solid blue!!!!  That means I was up on foil almost the whole time and only came down intermittently.  Only got to 16.6 mph.  Definitely more drag on the NL160 compared to the Kojira 980 - but it lifts easier too (and I did need that with the Reedin 4.2 during the lighter lulls.

I let Harris borrow the 4.2 so he could try it out.


Fun day of winging!


No comments: