Friday, October 8, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 10/8/2021

The wind was blowing harder today.  I pumped up the Reedin 3.6


The real treat (besides the nuking winds) was breaking out my Takuma Kujira 980 on the 85cm mast.  I set this up last night - meticulously shimming the gaps and fitting to make sure everything would go together smoothly.  I used Marvin's rear stabilizer again - the one that came with my 980 was the 178 (?) instead of the bigger one (220+).


This was just a hair back from the last go out on the carbon mast - but it worked brilliantly.


I made two runs today.  The winds were nuking on the first run and I caught a few really fun bombs.  The Kujira turns and holds in the pocket as nicely (if not better) than the NL160.

On the flip side, the Reedin kept wanting to flip on me when I was luffing it.  I think it is more the wind direction while I'm riding - there was more North to the wind on this outing, but I'll have to bring this setup out to WPB to test that theory.


I did trip on one wave - started to curl right as I was going over it - and I got slammed by the entire long wave train of 8+ behind it.  That is where I noticed the wing felt slightly under inflated.  I headed in to put more air into the wing - but only after having fun tacking and jibing along the way (got more toeside jibes in).

Not a bad top end speed either.


So the Reedin 3.6 was even just a hair below perfectly powered - I think the ideal range of this wing for my weight and ability is 25 with gusts to 40.


I got the wing to 8psi and headed back out.  This chart below actually shows more detail than most of the others I've posted - primarily because it has fewer tracks on it so you can see the ones it does have more clearly.


This is another chart that I can't stop smiling about - lots of solid blue and a top speed of 20.0mph!!!


Tomorrow through Monday is supposed to be nuking - definitely in the 25 to 40 mph range!!!  Stay tuned for some total nutzoid wing foiling!!!

Side note - there was a threesome of spotted eagle rays that seemed to be mating.  I saw the tons of green turtle bombs like normal - but the big sighting today, especially considering the bigger surf churning up the water was a big tiger... I'm starting to wonder if it is mating season among the cartilaginous fishes...

No comments: