Sunday, October 17, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 10/17/2021

I had to be back at the house for some visitors - so I got in a mid-day winging session.  I wanted to test Prayot's Kujira 1210 some more and under different conditions.  The wind was blowing hard when I got to the parking lot.  I decided to pump up the 4.5 - but some clouds settled in over head and the flow got choked off a bit. 



You can see the slow start and also a significant lull represented as blue lines in the chart below.


Once the sun came back out, the wind filled in again and I was up and riding.  I pulled hard upwind to the stronger wind field (eastern side of the this area) so if the wind died back again, I would at least be schlogging into Fenceline and not into the cabins area.

With the 4.5, I need 20mph to get up on foil - that dip in the wind just after 11am is the large black patch on my speed graph below.


The peak speeds were when I was on a wave.  The forecasts called for 1-2' faces - but as I was riding in, there were some chest high sets that formed some really long walls.  The Kujira 1210 picked up the energy really well and I could carve as hard as I did with the Armstrong HS1550v1.  I did have the opportunity to luff the wing a few times and got to carve up some walls with good concave sections in them.  One of these was a perfectly timed jibe and straight drop in to a standup wave.


It's looking like the form factor is limiting this front foil to below 19mph (relative to my watch).  I do like the sustained glide this foil has - I can take my time through the jibes.  If my right knee weren't hurting right now, I'd try pumping more - but for now I've been letting the wing do most of the work.

Fun day!!!!

No comments: