Saturday, October 23, 2021

Wing Foiling Session - 10/23/2021

Tim wanted to pick up his board (bought from Phil) today, and I also sold him my Ensis 6.0 and 5.2 (gotta have wings to wing foil right?).  As an incentive to buy my wings, I offered to give lessons - so today I gave a lesson.  Knowing that I would not be going out to firsts, and also knowing that I would be moving ownership of these two beloved wings, I opted to setup the Go Foil PNL185 for the first time for winging in hopes that its glide would let me use the Ensis 4.5 wing.


There was actually a lot of wind and I was able to use the 4.5 without any trouble at all.  There was a lot of north in the wind today - draw a perpendicular to the tracks below, and you'll see the wind was largely coming from 045.


The PNL 185 was a ton of fun!  I did not get overpowered when pushed hard, and it carried a ton of momentum pushing through the lulls and alleys.


And in between running back and forth, checking on Tim and trying to keep upwind, I did try out Ken's new Chinese designed 6.0 wing.  It was bleeding out power through a really loose leech.  Also the handles were really hard to use (especially when compared to the Ensis handles.  After I gave Ken's wing back to him, I tried out Tim's board to see if it was the board causing him to not be able to get to his knees and try to get up on foil.  I grabbed the 5.2 (for the final time) and took off on Tim's board (equipped with the HS1850/full 300/72cm mast/60cm fuselage).  I was up and going without any issue (sorry Tim - it is you and not the board).

So a lot of testing out different configs today - that is what caused all the black space in the speed graph below.


Today's runs confirmed that given the right conditions, you can ride a smaller wing and a smaller foil as long as you are efficient at using the front foil and the wing.  I feel that where I'm at now, I would not need to use the 6.0 anymore, and I could get a more efficient wing to also replace the 5.2

I'm going to miss the Ensis 5.2 and 6.0 - Tim got a great deal and a couple of wings that will serve him well through the learning curve and into his first wave rides.  But what I'm getting to replace them is next level... stay tuned!!!

No comments: