Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Garage Works - 6/28/2022

I'm pretty much finished with all the repairs - the patches on two of the four spots I addressed yesterday came off when I removed the peel ply.  This afternoon I applied patches again, but used saranwrap instead of peel ply.



I also got Roland's surfboard all sanded down (but used solareez to fill a couple of other open dings - I have to sand those down and then the surfboard is done).  And I got his wing board all painted up as well.


And finally I worked on fine tuning the shape of the new wing board.  I feel much better about the shape now - had to spend a bunch of time sanding the starboard front quarter to get it close to symmetric with the port side.  I also got ambitious and outlined the foot strap insert slots - and even tried to rout one open - but with the sun going down, it was getting hard for me to see the alignment of the router bit.  I figured I should wait for sunlight.




I'll get the inserts epoxied in and a fill slurry to level out the area immediately around the inserts.  After that, I'll laminate the top deck - innegra nose to tail, and heel patches (to see if I can avoid the d-cell planks and the weight that brings, but without losing strength - I'll have deck pads on the board anyways).  I'll still have to install the handle on the bottom deck before I can laminate the bottom deck on - in a nutshell I still have a bunch of work to do on this board.  I'm thinking I have a couple more weekends to go.

No comments: