Saturday, June 11, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 6/11/2022

The trades started to come back today.  A large group assembled to go winging at Hickam - me, Kalani, Roland, Tim, Marvin, Erik, Jim, Arvin, Dennis, Harris and one other guy (that recently started coming out).  Kalani got a new set of wings - Reedin SW2 in 6.0 and 5.2.  Roland busted out the Cloud IX 4.2 (looked smaller than that).  Really cool to see all these wingers out!


There was definite texture on the water, but it wasn't whitecapping.  It also looked like it was coming more north than the usual tradewinds.  I pumped up the Reedin SWX 5.2.  I also bolted on the GoFoil PNL185 onto the Stringy fuse and used the 85cm Project Cedrus mast.  Really good setup for today's conditions!

I did bring the demo Reedin SW2 4.7 that Jeff let me borrow - but there were holes in the wind and I already had a bunch of ups and downs with the 5.2 (maybe tomorrow the wind will have steadied out more).




I tried out the Insta360 harness mount today also.  Interesting perspective, but I think I need to aim it lower.


From my track below, you can see the amount of north in the wind.  Since it has been a while since I've winged in decent steady winds, I wanted to warm up - I focused mainly on turns today.  The PNL185 actually gets up on foil easily, and I can turn it, but it does seem to want a wider turning arc.  I think tomorrow I'll break out the Takuma Kujiras again (Marvin was using his Kujira 1440 today and he said he was having a much easier time compared to the Armstrong HS1850).


The wind was definitely better than any we've had recently (which really has been thermals) - but while I was out it was pretty weird (but super fun).


I'll have to look through the previous posts where I used the PNL185 to see what the top speed was.  Tomorrow I think I'll use the Axis ART...


W:47/F:59/S:17

No comments: