Sunday, June 19, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - Father's Day

I ran errands this morning to help La out, then I worked in the garage (on the board repair detailed on the last post) for a bit.  I even took a short nap and ate a big late lunch (several fathers came over for lunch) - THEN I GOT TO GO TO THE BEACH!!!

The wind had been blowing really well pretty much since 9am.  As Marlon (he came to send the drone out - Father's Day present!!!) and I pulled up to the super crowded parking lot, the wind was visible on the water as plentiful whitecaps.  You could tell from the short view of the waves as you enter the parking lot that the wind was pretty much onshore.

I ended up using the demo Reedin SW2 4.7 and the Kujira 1210 setup.

Derek, Fuzzy and Mark (From Big Island) were working the outside - you could see the wind was stronger on the outside.  You could also see the waves were bigger today and when they were coming in, they were stacked.  It took me 15 minutes to paddle out (where it would normally take me 5).  I finally got a gust and I was off.


The wind lined up well with the swell and I was easily able to luff the wing on the more energetic waves.


And I could also "one-hand" the wing dropping into the waves (but here I am chasing a wave down).


The wind started getting light again, so I headed in (I wouldn't want to get stuck out there with the bomber sets lurking).

On the track below, you could see the wind direction was from the SSE.

Right in the middle of the orange and yellow lines is a set of tight loops - I had ridden a wave in, jibed to go back out and saw a juicy wave pop up in front of me with some wind to back up the sharp turn on the wave (SO MUCH FUN!!!)


The meter at Kalaeloa is at the airfield - so a good distance inland and it doesn't get the same wind as the beach does - so I think this chart is reading a little low.  Still, the point here is the wind was on the lighter side (but the SW2 4.7 still handled the conditions superbly). 


Peak speed coming down the face of some of the larger waves!  The 1210 handled everything really well and handled the choppy starts and long patches of broken wave turbulence without blinking an eye - helpful attributes when the wind is on the lighter side.


Awesome Father's Day - glad to have been able to help at home and then get to ride some fun waves!

W:52/F:60/S:17

No comments: