Sunday, June 12, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 6/12/2022

Another wing session at Hickam today - Kalani, Tim and I drove on around 11:30 - Arvin, Ryan and another Tim were already out, Erik and Jim came out later.  The wind was a couple of notches stronger today so I pumped up the Reedin SW2 4.7m that Jeff let me demo.  I also bolted on the Axis ART999 with the Ultrashort black fuselage and the 420HA rear stabilizer - no shims on the mast track or the stabilizer.

Incredible wing - it does everything well (for a wing designed for forward drive).  I especially like being able to swing transitions with only one hand on the wing (I can do this on the Takuma RS and the Reedin SWX - but the SW2 just feels super natural).


I made a run out to Firsts - the waves were barely breaking - fun rides without any threat of being mowed down.


I actually pulled a second session - I let Harris take out the SW2 (he had just put his front foil through the leading edge of his 5.0 Slingwing V3), and I pumped up the SWX 5.2 so I could do a back to back.  The SWX (being ever so slightly larger) is more powerful, but during some really strong extended gusts, the SWX would flap, where the SW2 would not flap.  Made a second run out to Firsts - and Harris and Erik followed.  With the higher tide the waves had backed down even more.

I really do forget how good a front foil the ART999 is - fast, incredible glider, early riser, turns like a dream on a running wave - what more do you need?  Of course you need power in the wing (so this is not a front foil to be used in underpowered conditions).  I dare say even better than the Kujiras - but the Kujiras are better in turbulent water - they won't go as fast as easily as the ART, but they are not far behind.


I forgot my watch so I don't have top speed from today, but I'm pretty sure I was up past 20 mph on a consistent basis.  We are supposed to have wind all week - I'll probably pick the strongest days and wing then - I've got to get some work done on the garage projects.

Super fun session!!!

W:48/F:59/S:17



No comments: