Sunday, June 19, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 6/18/2022

 Got in a noon session today.  Made a trip out to POP (since they had a sale on Big Green Egg stuff - I needed charcoal), and on the way back I picked up Kalani and hit Hickam Harbor.

The wind was blowing strong as we drove up, but then is quickly died back.  I should have pumped up the RS 6.1, but I toughed it out and used the SWX 5.2.  Everything else was the same as yesterday (because I didn't take it out of the truck) - ART999/420HA Rear Stabilizer/Ultra Short Fuselage/85cm Project Cedrus Mast bolted on to the Wide Wing Foiling Board.

Lots of wingers out today - Dennis, Arvin, Jim, Brantley, me, Kalani, Erik, Ken, and three other guys whose names I don't know.


I made my way out to Firsts early on - good waves on an infrequent basis, but the wind was full of holes.

I did manage to get some interesting pictures - this first one is mid-jibe, right when I'm getting ready to make the drop on the face of the wave and also switching the wing's tack (going to starboard here).  Probably the most intense moment in winging in the waves!




Fully stretched out (better for the posture) and riding a wave in - hard to tell because the wave isn't breaking.


And me trying to get to a better position to line up with the bowl section.


I headed back in for a bit to wait for the wind to stiffen up.  It did and I ended up heading back out but then it swung 90 degrees and ended up changing the dynamics completely.  You can see the abrupt change of direction in the lines I had to take.

Riding a wave now meant pulling upwind by riding out the Pearl Harbor channel markers (big swell hitting there - but I didn't partake because I didn't want to get caught out there with this fluky wind).  I'd jibe then ride parallel to the runway back over to Firsts, pick up a juicy wave and ride it downwind until I hit the Hickam Harbor channel markers.  The wind would get light inside, so after a couple of these waves, I decided to head back in.  I'm glad I did because the wind dropped off again.

Based on my experiences and this chart, I'd say the bottom end of the SWX 5.2 for me is 15mph.  It was great when it was closer to 20 (and even in the gusts to 25), but this wing is definitely a race horse and not a fart around prancing pony.

I didn't break any speed records today - I was just happy to be out winging!  I did get in 12.67 miles.  The wind forecasts are all over the place, so we'll see what tomorrow holds.


W:52/F:60/S:17








No comments: