Sunday, August 14, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 8/13/2022

 The thermals kicked in yesterday afternoon (when the forecast called for nothing).  Despite my arms screaming at me for a solid rest, I was compelled to head out.  Roland and Brian were already out - Roland on his 4.0 Score and Brian out on his 5.2 Score.  The wind didn't look that strong - so I pumped up my RS 6.1 and bolted on the Kujira 1440.  I didn't want to jump or get frustrated trying to get up on the board - so I used the wide wing foiling board - perfect call on everything!!!

There were waves coming in every 15 minutes or so.  This day something else clicked - I was able to luff the RS wing without any issue.  Whenever I had tried to do that before, the wing would start to push down in an ugly way.  Maybe it was the wind direction - maybe it was the wing material breaking in - whatever it was this wing is now one of the top 3 I've ever used!

Marlon was flying the drone for a bit, but he had to leave - at which time I proceeded to catch a monster wave on the outside.  I luffed the wing and rode it going right all the way to the inside of where the surfers were lined up past Fenceline.  I was up high on the foil and the wave was still a few feet overhead.  I only saw three of these sized waves come through - and I got the biggest one.  Luffing was key to being able to ride that wave so long - everything came together for this one (the wave pictured below was not the monster I'm describing - it's just one of the pictures Marlon was able to take while he was there). 


Brian was ripping as usual.  Roland had a harder time with the 4.0 wing.  They said when they got there earlier, the wind was nuking - lots of whitecaps and the trees were pegged.


My watch died halfway through the session - so I don't think any of this data caught the big wave ride.

The wind direct was good for WPB winging - runs were straight in and straight back out with the more easterly pattern.

Yesterday was a magical session that will be burned in my brain forever!


W:85/F:68/S:18

No comments: