Monday, August 29, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 8/28/2022

 I did not do a dawn patrol this morning - but I did work on epoxy based projects in the garage instead.  I filled in the voids on the sides of the reinforcement blocks on the two new prone boards.  I also placed epoxy on the rear stabilizer repair for Eli.  And lastly I fixed the small delamination on the 4'7" wing foiling board.  All while I waited for the thermals to kick in.  

I got to the beach around 1:30 and Brian and Kalani were already out.  There were whitecaps on the outside so I pumped up the RS 5.1 (I'm still babying my left elbow, both shoulders and I guess my right elbow - I want to take the smallest wing that will work for me for the foreseeable future).  I brought the WWFB, the 85cm PC mast and the 1210/178.

At the onset, the winds were pretty good.  I had fun cranking turns and was able to stay high up in the wind field (out in front of Coves).  The swell was on the small side, but every now and then there was a set that had breakers.  I am having a much easier time dropping the RS wings down to the luffing position - they aren't pushing down any more.  

Then Brian went in and the wind got erratic.  There were spells where I just sat on my board and looked east to site any gusts coming through.  Later on the beach, Kalani told me Brian told him that he had been out for two hours already by the time Kalani launched.  And the thermals were kicking hard the whole time.  Note to self - come earlier...


You can see the ups and downs in the wind speed graph.


And even more telling - the large plots of no forward speed.


I am eternally thankful that this sport got developed in my lifetime!!!  

W:87/F:72/S:19


No comments: