Saturday, December 31, 2022

Dawn Patrol - 12/31/2022

Dawn patrolled with Marlon.  There was still some energy in the water - especially if you waited for the sets (20 to 25 minutes apart).  No wind and a medium rising tide made for funs conditions (but it was cold...)

Marlon brought his longboard and headed over to Coves, where he subsequently saw a 6' shark and then came in.



I brought the Axis ART 999 and tested it to see if my sanding messed it up.  I also didn't change out the mast from the last time I went out - so this was probably the first time I used this foil prone on the 75cm mast.

The extra height wasn't an issue with the tide this morning.  And it was an asset since I didn't have to worry about trimming right at takeoff (so the rear stabilizer doesn't breach).  And I found another reason why this mast height is good - I caught a few already broken waves and with the extra depth, the foil was out of the turbulence, and I was able to takeoff and ride.  With the shorter 68cm mast, I probably would have not been able to recover.


I caught several waves, got a bunch of double dips and even a couple of triples - so this was a great last prone foil surfing session for 2022.  I may try and get an evening surf session, but we'll see.

W:128/F:101/S:46

No comments: