Sunday, December 25, 2022

Template for No.29

I've been contemplating making an asymmetric prone foil board for quite some time.  I've got one repair job on the bench, but after that I think I'm going to go ahead and build No.29 as an asymmetric.

The hard part is trying to nail down the template.  My strong stance is regular foot, so my right foot is towards the back of the board.  Asymmetry in a foil board is going to be way more subtle than what you would see in a surfboard or windsurfer.  The asymmetry is only supporting the rider's natural stance while riding - and really does not influence how the board performs in the surf.

The first thing to note on these templates is the "left" side is the constant side.  This side is adjusted to accommodate my front foot hugging the left/port rail, and my back foot riding more centered and over the foil mast plate.

Why do you have to make these accommodations?  You don't have to - but if you look at your feet, the answer should be obvious - you can apply way more pressure with your toe side.  So in the case of my front foot I am augmenting a weaker heel side by adding more foam under my left heel, and I'm taking an advantage I have with my back foot more centered and trimming off excess board.

The right side of the board template has two versions.  This first one is more representative of how I have been designing my own templates - straight parallel rails for developing paddling speed and a square tail for getting assists from waves during takeoffs.  This version shows a more drastic difference between the two sides (and making the asymmetry more obvious). 


This second version has the right side with a more subtle difference - less square tail and more curvature in the rail.  You can see some bump out in the nose area on the right, and the tail area is fuller compared to the left.


For my first asymmetric prone foil board, I'm going to go ahead and use the setup shown in the first picture.  I don't want the differences to be subtle - one, so that I can determine if this is actually worth incorporating into future builds, and also to make it obvious that this is an asymmetric (and they won't think I was drunk while making this board).

No comments: