Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 12/27/2022

The wind forecast was not aligned on the websites I use - so that meant today would be a crap shoot whether the wind would be favorable or not for winging.

Harris texted me and said there was wind - I got home quickly, packed up the gear and took Noe over to Hickam so she could try winging.  I set her up with the Takuma RS 5.1, the NWFB and the GoFoil 29.5" mast with the GL180.


I used the WWFB with the 85cm Project Cedrus mast, the PNL185/chopped stabilizer/Stringy direct bolt fuselage, under the North Nova Light Wind 8.0


Noe was a trooper.  She has good form on her outbound runs.  Harris even said he saw her get on foil.  But on her inbound runs, she was struggling to keep her balance and hold the wing steady.  


I tried sticking close to her to give her pointers - but she eventually drifted too far downwind.  I told her she should start paddling upwind to get to a point where she could try again.  The NWFB at 25" width was a bit much for her to get a good power pull while paddling.  I disconnected my leash and tried to tow her (but the leash didn't offer much area to hold on to).  I figured she should paddle as far as she could, and I would make a beeline in - then I could swim back out and help her paddle back.


I was nicely powered on the Nova LW 8.0 - I think the RS6.1 would have worked in these conditions as well.  I focused on making transitions without backwinding the big wing - as I was successful.  The PNL185 is a foil I haven't been out on in quite some time.  It was really fun to use - a bit loose and maneuverable, but still tracks upwind well.  Lots of glide in the transitions.  Fun setup today!

You can see the gap below where I was towing Noe.


When we got back to shore and were breaking down the gear, we were discussing the session and lessons learned.  Next time we'll use a smaller board - so if she needs to paddle, she'll have an easier time.  We'll also practice with a wing on land, and a mock board so she can work on her foot placement during her goofy foot runs.  Lastly, we'll use the Ensis V2 4.5 - the 5.1 in these winds was a little much - the 4.5 will have similar low end, but it'll have a more forgiving high end compared to the RS.

Based on the forecasts, this will likely be the last winging session this year.  And what an awesome year it has been!!!  So many awesome experiences - I am thankful and appreciative for the opportunities I have been presented and for my and the family's health.  I have so many more goals for winging next year - jumping efficiently, making more boards, learning more transitions, running more downwinders, and fine tuning my toe-heel tacks.

W:128/F:100/S:44

No comments: