Sunday, December 18, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 12/18/2022

Prayot has been in town for a few days, but today was the first day the wind picked up enough to go winging.  And oh how the wind came in - there are two fronts pushing through from the west.  Actually it is blowing almost exactly opposite of what it normally does.

The diagram below showing my track looks almost like my normal track - but I was on the opposite tack with the wind coming side on shore.

I used the WWFB, 85cm Project Cedrus mast, the Kujira 1210 and the Reedin SW2 4.7 - perfect setup for today's conditions.


The waves were really good today - the fetch across the Kaieiewaho Channel and the westerly winds made for some fun sized waves.  Riding regular footed going in towards shore made luffing super easy.  In fact - I have to say this was probably the best session I've had at WPB.  If we had this wind direction on a regular basis, I'd ultra spoiled (actually - I think this is what happens on the North Shore of Maui...)

Also of note, I saw a 6' shark swimming on the surface (probably mid way through the 2 hour session).  It wasn't dark colored, so it was probably a hammerhead.  Marlon has been taking lots of photos at WPB and Hau Bush - and he has seen plenty of hammers.


I felt perfectly powered on the 4.7 today.  I'm not sure I got to 25mph while riding (might have been on a crash).  But for sure I had some really fast rides (carving up and down the face of the incoming wave trains - SO MUCH FUN!!!!)


During the second half of the session, Prayot was getting further and further downwind, and Kalani was going that way also.  The wind had died back a notch (but I was still powered) - Kalani and Prayot were on 5.2 (SW2 and SWX respectively).  Prayot hit a beach in between WPB and Hau Bush and walked back.  I told Kalani that if he couldn't make it back upwind, to just land at Hau Bush and we'd pick him up.


Roland, Paul, his wife, two other guys, and Eli all were out also - EPIC session (and tomorrow is supposed to be even crazier)!!!

W:125/F:99/S:42

No comments: