Monday, December 19, 2022

Wing Foiling Session - 12/19/2022

Today was the second of three days of forecasted SW-W winds.  Of the three days, today was supposed to be the strongest - that was true, but I spent most of the day studying the weather by comparing actual conditions with different weather apps.  We (Prayot, Kalani and I) even got to watch as the front line pushed through (more on that later).

Prayot showed up at 11:30 (supposed to be 10), but that was fine since the wind was so up and down - I wouldn't have gone out anyways.  Right before 12 the front passed through - the weather apps were saying the wind hit 46mph on the gusts.  Mark (retired AF) had gone out when I first got there.  It was pretty windy at first but then it slowed down a lot (pretty much by the time he had paddled out).  It was raining hard just before the frontal passage, but I think Mark had made it to the beach.  Kalani and I talked to him for a bit after - he said he was done and was going home to take a nap.


Three more shower bands pushed through before it started to clear.  The three of us decided to head out.

Here's No.28 and the SWX 5.2 with their new owner (Prayot).  This gear is off to Japan tomorrow.


Using the same gear from yesterday, I was able to get up on foil right away.  The water was really bumpy and the cloudy sky gave little contrast to the water surface - it was hard to tell where a wave was and what was just choppy water.  From the track you can see the wind had shifted more to the NW.  I was able to make a couple of runs and then the wind just died.  I bobbed around for the next hour and paddled in.  The conditions were actually pretty good for prone foiling.


Here's the wind speed data pull from iwindsurf.com - yup, enough wind for a couple of runs then nothing.  In writing this, I debated if I should even count this session, but why not - I did get up on foil.


The DKI Airport sensor didn't catch the front passage, but the Kalaeloa Airport sensor did - gusts over 50mph.


The watch recorded another erroneous reading.


This was what I got while up on foil.


Pretty much a skunk, but it was nice hanging out with Prayot and Kalani.  Actually it would have been way better if we had gone prone foiling instead.

W:126/F:99/S:42

No comments: